Sunday, March 23, 2008

Google Image Labeler: Do Your Part

I know many of you are out there saying, "Darn, I missed World Water Day yesterday. Now I have no way of lending my assistance to a worthy cause. I'm especially in trouble because I hate leaving the house, and I only contribute my time to worthy causes if I can do it over the Internet." That is what you're saying, right?

Well, you lazy philanthropists, there's a cause out there that requires no money down, and no legs down either (i.e. don't get up). Google, the champion of Don't Be Evil, is calling on you to help them out. (and, by helping Google, you help us all.)

They are currently in the process of indexing every single bit of information in the whole wide world. Hard to believe that they would need some help. But they do.

If you love using Google Image Search, but always thought it could be more accurate, well, now you can make that a reality. Surf over to the Google Image Labeler. It's simple. Once you begin, you are shown a series images. You enter words to describe the images (word association!). If the random person who is simultaneously describing the images matches one of your words, then bingo, Google uses that descriptive word to make their searches better.

It's faster than open-heart surgery and more fun that playing Frogger. Try it. It'll make you feel better.

disclaimer: using Google Image Labeler should not be used as moral compensation for not giving to actual charities.

No comments: