Monday, June 16, 2008

In Memoriam

I still read Iowa's Le Mars Daily Sentinel and, unfortunately, recognize way too many names in the obituaries. The folks below are people who invited me into their home for one reason or another. This isn't much of a memoriam, I know, but curtisraye.com is what I've got.

Ronald D. Wilmot (06/13/08)
Ronald D. Wilmot, 69, of Akron, died unexpectedly Monday, June 9, 2008, while on a volunteer mission trip in Jalingo, Nigeria. Memorial services will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday, June 18, at Akron-Westfield School gymnasium. Neil Peck, CLS, of Wesley United Methodist Church in Akron will officiate. ...

For 6 months, Ron was never home when I called. But his wife spoke glowingly about him and said if I ever wanted to stop by, I'd recognize their house by the huge Ham Radio antenna in the back yard. Well, in my last week in Iowa, I looked for the tower, knocked on the door, and Ron invited me, a complete stranger, into his house to see his radio equipment.

Alice M. Naese (06/06/08)
Alice M. Naese, 88, of Kingsley, died Friday, June 6, 2008, at Mercy Medical Center in Sioux City. The Johnson -- Earnest Funeral Home of Kingsley is assisting Alice's family with funeral arrangements. Expressions of sympathy may be directed through www.mauerjohnsonfh.com...

Edwin J. Meyer (03/18/08)
Edwin J. Meyer, 81, of Le Mars, died Friday, March 14, 2008, at the Hallmark Care Center in Sioux City, Iowa after an extended illness. Edwin J. Meyer was born Nov. 26, 1926, on a farm in Grant Township, rural Plymouth County, the son of Ernest and Dorette (Janssen) Meyer. ...

Ed and his wife Charlotte invited me in twice. Despite the fact that he had to travel to Sioux City 3 times a week for dialysis, he still managed to find the energy to give me his opinion on which candidates were best. A veteran, he even told me some stories about his brief stint at military points in New Jersey.


Geraldine Betsworth (03/26/08)
Geraldine Betsworth, 76, of Le Mars, died Tuesday, March 25, 2008, at her home in Le Mars. Mass of Christian Burial will be at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. James Catholic Church in Le Mars with the Rev. James Tigges officiating. Interment will be in Calvary Cemetery in Le Mars. ...

No comments: