Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Obit: Burl Green

I had a wide-ranging laundry list of tasks while working in Iowa, but fundraising was absolutely never one of them. It made my job loads easier to never have to ask for money. It was hard enough asking people to leave the comfort of their homes on a cold January 3rd night to join the caucus fracas.

I was reminded of this when I read today's Cherokee Chronicle and saw that Burl Green had died at the age of 84. He came to one of my community meetings to hear more about caucus night. A long-time Democrat, he knew exactly what a caucus was, yet he was attentive, answered questions that I couldn't, and even verbally sparred with another woman (later resolved). But the first thing he did was hand me a check. It caught me off guard. It was the first (and last in Iowa) check I received. And it taught me to be more aware of people handing you checks (something which happened more regularly in Colorado and Ohio). So, in a way, he taught me a thing or two about money and added a memorable moment to my time in Iowa. My respects to Linda and Colene Green




From the Cherokee Chronicle-
Burl F. Green, 84, of Cherokee, former long time rural Cleghorn area resident, passed away Saturday evening, Aug. 23, 2008 at the Cherokee Regional Medical Center following a lengthy illness.

No comments: