Sunday, April 13, 2008

Our Latest National Treasure

Stephen Colbert and I have a habit of sharing ideas for content. I don't mind when he peeks at my blog. And I hope he doesn't mind if I watch his show.

I had been meaning to visit his portrait in the National Air and Space Museum; it's part of the National Treasures Exhibition. It's the kind of thing you can't do when you're in Iowa, so why not take advantage of it? (The exhibit, which includes Dorothy's ruby slippers, Lincoln's top hat, and the Seinfeld puffy shirt, is usually housed at the Museum of American History, but that's being renovated.)

*Quick background for all this can be found in this video



Today was the final day his portrait was on display, so I had to get my act together. I mass transited into town and made my way to Air and Space. The line for the display was quick-moving, and the exhibition did not disappoint. There, amongst our other national treasures, was a photo of Mr. Colbert.






I asked a kindly stranger to take my photo. After seeing the photo, my first reaction was a bit of dismay. Why would he cut out part of the Colbert portrait? That was the whole point of being there! However, now I understand that the stranger wanted to give the photo some context, to show some edges to the display case. That way, people know it's an actual Smithsonian museum and not me fooling around in my basement. So, I'm no longer angry. And if you try and change my mind, and say I was hoodwinked, I will promptly delete your comment and pretend you don't exist.

And if all else fails, I can just pretend I'm the girl in this next photo. That way the photo includes a full Stephen and a full me (as played by the girl with her back to the camera).


4 comments:

theteach said...

You write, "And if you try and change my mind, and say I was hoodwinked...."

My immediate reaction was that the photographer did not know how to set up the picture. Perhaps with an unfamiliar camera, he did not know how to focus to get both you and the Colbert portrait into the frame.

CR said...

Letting kindly stranger off easy.

Or, wait . . . putting the blame on me for not explaining the camera properly.

Dane Cook has thoughts on that.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=1117014428

theteach said...

The myspace URL is incomplete. I can't access the site.

CR said...

this should work. (not suitable for workplace)