Wednesday, June 13, 2007

America's Best Kept Secret, or A Jersey Boy's Ignorance

In the Shopping Spotlight: Hy-Vee

After my earlier mention of Panera Bread, a co-worker suggested I was only writing this in the hopes of getting a free lunch. And now that I'm profiling Hy-Vee, he's sure to razz me again. Well, not only is that ridiculous, but, I just want to say, my favorite Hy-Vee lunch is the sesame chicken, with a side of white rice. I'll even pick it up myself. If you want me to mention your store location, then you'll have to add a second fortune cookie.

What is it:
Hy-Vee is a magical place. They sell mostly groceries, but they have special sections for Chinese food, a bakery, a deli, a bank, and a pharmacy. This one-stop-shopping mentality is brilliant. It's not a strip mall. It's all under the same roof.

Chain Information:
More than 220 retail stores in the midwest, offering everything from online floral delivery to catering, to your standard grocery store.

Why I Visit: Because they sell local products.

Why I Really Visit: Because I can't tell the the difference between local products and products from neighboring states.

Price Drop: 6-inch sub for $3.00.

Product Drop: A bushel of bananas while shopping there yesterday. Sorry, produce guy. Clean up, aisle 4?

What They Don't Say in the Circular: Hy-Vee is really clean. Even if they had a direct competitor, the fact that I can see my reflection in the floor (which facilitates my Mr. Clean impressions) probably means I would stick with Hy-Vee.

If you ever come to visit out here, I will take you there. If you ever visit when I'm not around, you should go there. I you ever get into real-estate . . . build one.

No comments: